.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Linux stories... and more

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

CD verification in RedHat installer - be careful

Since RedHat Linux 9, there is a CD verification feature during install process. I.e. installer can check whether disc contents checksum matches the one written in checksum file.

Recently I've received 4 CDs with RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS for i386. To make sure, I've decided to test them using the feature mentioned - all checks passed.

During install, anaconda has asked to put disc 3 in. I did, but installer stated that the disc is wrong. After some investigation, I've found out that disc number 3 is actually for x86-64 (the guy gave me disc from other bundle) and not for i386!

I.e. installer checks checksums, but does not check whether disc belongs to the same serie!

I wonder what it would tell, if I gave it disc 3 from, say, RH EL 4. :)

I hope RedHat will fix this misleading bug in future releases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home